Welcome to PORCH Western Wake!
We started as a group of women in Cary who got together every month or so to network, chat and have good old fashioned girl time.
We are all business/working women in one profession or another (lawyer, designer, teacher etc.) that have lived in Cary for a number of years and are all now in our … hmmm… in our … 40s, 50s and 60s! In other words, we are still young, and at the same time we are old enough to know that we still have a lot we CAN and want to do and accomplish.
We first learned of PORCH, www.porchnc.org (People Offering Relief for Chapel Hill Carrboro Homes) and its successes as a grass-roots hunger-relief program in late December, 2010, and within weeks we were talking about and talking through ways to get a similar program started in Cary. What appealed to us immediately was not only the energy and success of the existing PORCH program in Chapel Hill but also the simplicity of the program:
- Participation is easy … on a given date people leave their donations on their front porch for volunteers to collect
- Participation is ongoing … donors can participate every month OR just during the months of their choosing. There’s no pressure, no advance commitment
- The impact is local … all of our donations help individuals and families in the Western Wake Communities of Cary, Apex and Morrisville
- Everyone and Anyone can participate … just like our recipients, donors are not asked about political or religious affiliations. This program is just about those who CAN helping those in need!
So, it seemed like a winning formula to us and one that we couldn’t resist! Six weeks later, we had our first collection and fortunately, our feelings and belief in our neighbors were correct! PORCH-Cary (which soon became PORCH-WesternWake) has been successful from its first month. Not because of us but because of the many giving donors who participate and are helping to spread the word to new donors and new neighborhoods.
Now, as our collections and donor lists grow so do our goals and our commitment. We would love to have volunteers and donors from every neighborhood in Western Wake (Cary, Morrisville, and Apex). We’d love to expand to multiple recipient organizations so that we CAN help as many different local people in need as possible. It’s truly amazing the difference that every CAN of canned food CAN make!
So, please join us and enjoy the great feeling of giving all year long!
We are anxious to have you on board!
How PORCH Works
PORCH is built around the very simple idea of a neighborhood food drive. Here’s how it works, in three easy steps:
Once a month, on a designated day, residents place a food donation of individual sized-portions on their front porch.
A volunteer neighborhood coordinator goes porch to porch and picks up the food donations.
The donated food is transported by car to a central location where it is sorted, packed into backpacks, and then delivered to Western Wake Crisis Ministry, USO-NC and National Guard families.
The three-step process is easy and it’s also fast. With the help of dedicated volunteers, all the food collected from the many neighborhood food drives moves from porch to pantries and those in need in just a few hours’ time. From there, it goes to children struggling to get enough food to eat.
Below are our annual donation totals for past years:
|Date||Volume (Non-Perishable)||Volume (Perishable)||Total||Value|
|Jan 31, 2016||1641 lbs||lbs||1641 lbs||$32820|
|Feb 29, 2016||2172 lbs||lbs||2172 lbs||$43440|
|Mar 31, 2016||1494 lbs||lbs||1494 lbs||$29880|
|Apr 30, 2016||1234 lbs||lbs||1234 lbs||$24680|
|May 31, 2016||1491 lbs||lbs||1491 lbs||$29820|
|Jun 30, 2016||1005 lbs||lbs||1005 lbs||$20100|
|Jul 31, 2016||2036 lbs||lbs||2036 lbs||$40720|
|Aug 31, 2016||1595 lbs||lbs||1595 lbs||$31900|
|Sep 30, 2016||1446 lbs||lbs||1446 lbs||$28920|
|Nov 30, 2016||2080 lbs||lbs||2080 lbs||$41600|
|Dec 31, 2016||2464 lbs||lbs||2464 lbs||$49280|
|Jan 31, 2017||1497 lbs||lbs||1497 lbs||$29940|
|Feb 28, 2017||1718 lbs||lbs||1718 lbs||$34360|
|Mar 31, 2017||1184 lbs||lbs||1184 lbs||$23680|
|Apr 30, 2017||1593 lbs||lbs||1593 lbs||$31860|
|May 31, 2017||1510 lbs||lbs||1510 lbs||$30200|
|Jun 30, 2017||1120 lbs||lbs||1120 lbs||$22400|
|Jul 31, 2017||1560 lbs||lbs||1560 lbs||$31200|
|Aug 31, 2017||1425 lbs||lbs||1425 lbs||$28500|
|Sep 30, 2017||1493 lbs||lbs||1493 lbs||$29860|
|Oct 31, 2017||2352 lbs||lbs||2352 lbs||$47040|
|Oct 31, 2017||1488 lbs||lbs||1488 lbs||$29760|
|Nov 30, 2017||2080 lbs||lbs||2080 lbs||$41600|
|Dec 31, 2017||1403 lbs||lbs||1403 lbs||$28060|
|Jan 31, 2018||1389 lbs||lbs||1389 lbs||$27780|
We collect in the following neighborhoods. If you don’t see your neighborhood listed, we would love to add you to our list! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Amberley: Marcy Sacarakis
- Bella Casa
- Breckenridge: Salma Haque
- Cameron Park: Linda Barret, Jan White
- Cedar Bend: Melissa Miller
- Dogwood Ridge: Linda Barret, Jan White
- Downing Glen: Ellen Rubel
- Downing Ridge: Ellen Rubel
- Downing Village: Ellen Rubel
- Edinborough Point: Kristi Matthews
- Georgetown: Melody Hughes
- MacGregor: Wendy Musser
- MacGregor Downs: Georgi Murray
- Morrisville General: Ellen Rubel
- Normandie: Kathleen Hajek
- Pearson Farms: Linda Barret, Jan White
- Picardy: Jack Pearson
- Preston Fairways: Maria Madsen, Nancy Flink
- Preston Highlands: Adele Rogan, Lisa Bultman
- Preston Highlands Ridge: Adele Rogan, Lisa Bultman
- Preston Village: Melody Hughes, Ellen Rubel
- Preston Villas: Nancy Flink
- SearStone: Maria Madsen
- Weaver Crossing: Lis Pfeiffer
- Whitebridge: Maria Madsen
For more information on Neightborhoods or to contact your neighborhood coordination, go to ‘Get Involved’.
All of these business hold periodic food drives on behalf of PORCH-WesternWake. If your organization would like to participate monthly, quarterly or even annually please let us know!
- Apex High School National Honors Society
- Be Better Vending
- Burger 21
- Campbell University
- DNA Group Inc.
- Glass Plus Inc.
- Green Hope High School
- Moore and Van Allen
- My Soccer Fitness
- National Honors Society
- Operation Eagle - United Drug Supply
- Orange Theory Fitness
- St. Mary Magdalene
Currently, all of our donations are allocated between three main recipient organizations:
- Interact - 10%
- National Guard Families - 25%
- The USO-NC (at Raleigh-Durham Airport) - Variable
- Western Wake Crisis Ministry - 65%